Most of us will need to wear braces at some point of our lives. These can be the regular metal ones or even retainers like Invisalign. Braces can give us the smile and the look we have always wanted, so it is important to know about how to best care for them when we start wearing them. Although braces are sturdy, there are a few things that can damage them and cause problems. If you want to have the best possible experience while wearing them, we have some suggestions as to what to avoid.
- Grinding your Teeth: If you are someone who grinds your teeth at night, you may want to consider wearing a mouth guard of some sort. Metal braces break and warp when a lot of pressure is put on them, so a mouth guard can make the difference. You do not want to have to have the braces repaired soon after you begin wearing them.
- Sticky Foods: This one is a very common thing to stay away from. Your orthodontist will be sure to tell you to stay away from all kinds of sticky foods. This is not only because pieces can get caught in the braces, but also because the sticky foods can warp the metal, requiring you to go to your doctor to get them fixed.
- Bacteria: It is easier for bacteria to grab hold when you are wearing braces. This is because many times pieces of food can go unnoticed in the brace’s nooks. This is one more reason why flossing, brushing after every meal, and using mouth wash can be the best thing you do for your teeth and gums. There are many products that have been made especially for people who wear braces, so that they can remove all manner of bacteria without damaging the metal.
- Touching Braces: It can be tempting to touch the braces to try to make them more comfortable against your gums, but this is something you should not do. Not only will you be adding bacteria into your mouth, but you will also be risking damaging the metal. If you find that your braces are very uncomfortable and that they are pinching your gums, visit your orthodontist and ask them to help you find a solution. Do not attempt to fix the issue yourself.
- Ice: Many people are in the habit of chewing ice. This can easily damage braces, so it is important that you avoid doing this. You can warp the metal, requiring you to set up an appointment with your doctor.
Taking care of braces is important. They are not cheap things, and you do not want to run the risk of damaging them while you wear them. With braces like Invisalign, some of these things to avoid are not necessary, since you can remove the braces at any point. If you are wearing metal, however, staying away from sticky foods, from chewing ice, and even from grinding your teeth can be the very best thing you do.