If you are considering getting spine surgery, then you will need to weigh out the pros and cons for this type of surgery. Spine surgery can be very intense but there are also many different types of non invasive procedures that are involved with spine surgery. You can also find other forms of spine treatment that may work for you and you may not need spine surgery. These are things that you will want to discuss with your spine surgeon and will want to find the right options for your particular case and condition.
There are both pros and cons that come along with spine surgery. If you are considering whether or not you want to have spine surgery, then you need to weigh out the benefits vs. the risks. Listed here are the pros and cons for spine surgery.
Here are the pros for choosing to get spine surgery:
- You can relieve your pain. If you are opting for a spinal fusion surgery, then you will be relieving your pain in your nerves. This is done by making more space around your spinal cord and literally decompressing the compressed nerves.
- You likely won’t need surgery again. Of course, there is always the chance that you may need surgery with any type of problem in the nervous system but when you have a spinal fusion surgery as your spine treatment, then you are greatly reducing your risk of needing another spinal surgery in the future.
- You can prevent further complications of your spine. There is always the chance that you can have further complications with your spine if you opt out of the spinal surgery. This means that you may have an abnormal alignment of the spine, which in turn can lead to more surgery. If you have the surgery then you can prevent this abnormality from happening.
- You can start to live your normal life again while regaining the ability to do normal activities. This is vital as you can start to regain your life again and begin doing the activities that you love.
Here are the cons for choosing to get spine surgery:
- It can lead to additional back pain and a painful recovery period. When you get spine surgery, then you may have a painful recovery period due to the extensive bone work that is being done.
- You may have rods and screws placed in your body during surgery. This can lead to further complications and pain as well. This can also cause additional nerve irritation as well as more weakness in the legs.
- It can be very expensive. If you opt for a spinal fusion surgery, then it can be very pricey and you will want to be sure that you can afford it or set yourself up for a monthly payment plan if your insurance doesn’t cover a portion of it.
As you can see, there are many different pros and cons for opting for spine surgery. You will want to be sure that you choose the right options for you and that you find the right options that will work best for your health. You can start by consulting with the experts over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates.