When the windows of your home are in good condition, then your home is more energy efficient was well as safer. If you are just moving into your home or you are curious if it is time to replace your windows, then check the following tips to see when it is time for window replacement or repair.
You can no longer easily open and close the window. This could mean that the window has shifted or there is some other issue. Either way, the window will need to be taken out and either replaced or repaired.
The window frame has a visual separation from the walls around it. You might see cracking in the paint on the wall next to the window or sagging, warping, or chipping on the window frame itself. These types of issues are especially common for windows that have frames that are made out of wood. Wood frames are some of the oldest types of frames, so it is pretty common to see them in older houses. While they are beautiful and classic, they also require much more work to maintain them then newer versions of windows such as vinyl windows. If you have purchased an older home that was not well taken care of, then chances are that the wood window frames were also not kept up on and they will likely need to be replaced.
Take a good look at the overall appearance of the window. Often just by simply looking at it you can asses the condition of the window and its frame. Are there any water stains
around the window? What about chipping in the frame or in the glass itself? If the frame does not look quite right then there is a chance that it was installed incorrectly. Is there any moisture or fog or mist in the window itself? Condensation means that the seal is broken in the window and it is now letting in water and moisture that it should not be doing. In some cases this can be repaired by a professional, but if the window is already fairly old, it might be more cost effective to replace it.
Another way to asses damaged or old windows is to look at their performance. How effective are they at keeping out the elements like water and wind? Do you notice a significant change in the temperature of the room when you stand near a window? Or perhaps do you feel a draft that is coming from a particular window? The purpose behind the design of modern windows is to allow you the luxury of a view outside your home while still keeping the home operating at a level that makes it energy efficient. If you are losing money every month on your energy bills, then your windows are likely not doing their job and need to be replaced.
If the window is old enough that it is a single pane window, then you will want to invest in a double or triple pane window. You will be amazed at the difference it will make in your home and how much money you will save on your energy bills.
We all know that Colorado winter storms can be a nightmare. They can almost be as bad as the late summer hail storms that Colorado is known for, or the high speed wind storms that can happen just about any time of the year. That is why it is so important that your home has a high rated high quality roof that is built to withstand any kind of weather that this beautiful state can throw at it. That is where Academy Roofers comes in. They have been providing quality roof repairs and replacements in Colorado since 1980, so they know all of the challenges, as well as the benefits, that go hand in hand with owning a home in Colorado. Here are the top qualities of Academy Roofers to consider:
– Longevity. Academy Roofing has been in business for more than 35 years. The reason they have been around so long is that they understand that a big part of being a successful roofer is being a successful customer service company. They treat each client as if they were their only client by taking the time to listen to them and understand their needs and worries.
– They are part of the community. Being a successful local business means being part of your local community. They are not just employed in the Denver area, they also live in it. That means that they are committed to making their community the best it can be by helping ensure the quality of the homes and businesses around them by giving them quality roofs to exist under.
– The services that Academy roofing offers are well rounded. They work on jobs of all shapes and sizes, including roof repairs, complete roof replacements, residential homes and commercial buildings. Some of the products that they offer in addition to regular roofing include: solar roofs, cleaning or installing gutters, putting in new insulation, building a walk-able deck system and much more. Even if you just have some minor issues that need to be addressed, such as replacing torn or missing shingles or helping track down and fix the source of a leak, they have the ability and know how to do it.
– Academy roofing is also experienced with working with all of the different insurance companies in the area. When your roof is in need of repairs, nothing can be more frustrating than having to jump through hoop after hoop after hoop trying to get their insurance company to pay for the work to replace your roof. Thankfully, academy roofing has gone through this many times before, so they can help you by making sure that timely and accurate estimates are sent to your insurance company as needed, and they will always contact you or your insurance company if they find additional damage that could cause the total cost of your repairs to go up.
Your home is your castle, so keep it warm and dry by using an experienced and reliable roofer like Academy Roofing. Contact them today at www.academyroofinginc.com.
As more and more electric bikes are making their way from the showrooms and out on to the streets, many people are wondering: what exactly is an Ebike, and is it right for me? If you have never seen an Ebike – electric bicycle – before, then you are probably envisioning something that looks like a moped or a scooter, or perhaps even a paired down motorcycle, but an Ebike mostly resembles a regular bicycle more than any other type of motorized vehicle. Typically it is a bike, any bike, that has been tinkered with in order to add a small motor and battery to power it to the stem of the bicycle.
You may be thinking that since it is an electric bike, that there will not be the traditional pedals on it in order to propel you forward, but that is also not true. An Ebike still has all of the same features that a regular bicycle will have, right down to the bike accessories and the pedals. You always have the option of moving the bike forward using the pedals and not using the motor at all. The idea behind an electric bike is not to replace traditional cycling, but more to augment it. It gives you a helpful hand in getting up and over hills or even taking over the propulsion if you are tired and need a break from pedaling. When you are on an electric bike, you have three options available to you for movement, you can pedal, you can turn on and use the motor to move you, or you can pedal at the same time the motor is on.
An electric bike has a motor that is powered by a battery, so naturally that battery is going to run out of juice after a certain amount of use and will need to be charged. Most Ebike batteries are very easy to charge through the use of a regular wall outlet. You simply plug it in for a few hours and then you are ready to get back on the road. Batteries to your Ebike’s motor will eventually run out and need to be replaced, but not until you have charged it around 1000 times.
Many people wonder how you can operate a bike with a motor on it but not have to have a license in order to ride it, much like you do with motorcycles and scooters. The regulations in the US currently state that as long as an ebike motor is only capable of achieving up to 20 miles per hour and has a motor that is no higher that 750W that is it still considered a regular bicycle. Of course, you can always add your own force to the force of the motor to go faster than 20 mph if you wish, but the motor itself can only be capable of 20 on its own. As a result, most of the electric bikes that you see in local shops will automatically fall under these guidelines.
Taking care of the roof of your house is one of those chores that you always forget about until a problem arises. Homes in general require a lot of care, they are sort of like a well behaved two year old: you think everything is going great and then you turn your back for two minutes and suddenly everything needs work. Roofing can be tricky for many homeowners to keep an eye on, since many people either do not have the ability or the tools needed for them to access the tops of their roofs to perform the recommended inspections on them. However, there are a few simple tricks that you can do from inside your home that will help you to keep an eye on the state of your roof, before you end up having a massive leak that will be more time consuming and more expensive to repair. Also, if you are completely unsure about what kind of state your roof is in, then do not be afraid to contact your local roofing contractor to have them do an inspection for you. These are fairly quick and painless and not as expensive as you may be thinking. But first, follow these steps to do your own initial (and free) inspection before you decide if you need to bring in a roofing contractor.
- First, walk around and look at all of your ceiling areas from the inside of your home. You want to try to observe all of the areas that you normally would not notice, such as rooms with vaulted ceilings. Use a flashlight to shine on any areas that you are worried about to make sure that you are not seeing a shadow from a window. What you are looking for is anything out of the ordinary, such as changes to the color of paint in an area, or any change to the texture of the drywall. If you see places where the paint is bubbling, or the drywall is sagging, then you need to call in your roofer as soon as possible. That means a small leak has become a big problem and needs to be addressed.
- Look around at the walls as well, if there are places where it looks like a water stain is coming down the walls, then you could have a leak that is right where the wall is located. If you feel comfortable climbing into your attic and taking a look around there as well. Pay attention to weird smells as well as sights. If it smells musty then you may also have an issue.
- The most important thing for you to remember is that it is better safe than sorry. If you think that you have a leak coming in from your roof then call your roofer to have them take a look. If you end up being wrong, at least you double checked and now you do not have to worry about it hanging in the back of your mind.